Counselors, teachers, and staff for the 2018 TASIS Summer Programs arrived early last week, and, with the campus in excellent shape thanks to the tireless work of the TASIS personale, they were able to spend several days focusing on final preparations for the first session’s Opening Day on June 23.
Prior to the arrival of the more than 250 boarding students on a picturesque Saturday morning, all summer staff members gathered on the Villa De Nobili Terrace Friday evening for the annual Summer Programs Staff Talent Show. Led by the incomparable Dedicated Performing Arts Teams (DPAT), teachers, counselors, and staff members showcased a wide variety of impressive talents. Enjoy highlights from the show below.
Boarding students from all divisions—Le Château des Enfants (CDE), which comprises ages 4½–10 with the option to board beginning at age six; the Middle School Program (MSP), ages 11–13; and the TASIS Summer Program (TSP), ages 14–18—arrived throughout the day on Saturday, and they were joined by an additional 100 day students on Monday.
Academic classes and a host of sports and activities commenced on Monday morning, and that evening brought the session’s first Cultural Event in the Palestra (followed by a luau-themed Ice Cream Social for TSP students on the Monticello Terrace). Again led by DPAT, staff members entertained boarding students from all three divisions with many of the acts they had shared with one another on Friday night. The impressive performances can be viewed below.
As the opening week progressed, students settled into their regular routines of taking classes in the morning, participating in activity tracks in the afternoon, and enjoying structured activities with friends in the evening. Off-campus trips included pedal boating on Lake Lugano (CDE); learning Italian cooking at a villa in Milan, swimming at a number of lidos, taking on the Monte Tamaro ropes course, canoeing and canyoning on nearby lakes and rivers, doing a glacier hike in Andermatt, and exploring the Borromean Islands (MSP); and tackling a number of different water sports on Lago Maggiore (TSP).
Many TSP students will depart for overnight trips to Florence, Basel, and Andermatt on Friday morning while others will stay behind and enjoy day trips to Lucerne, Milan, Verona, and Brunnen on Saturday. MSP students will embark on their first overnight trips on Tuesday, with destinations including Tuscany, the Italian Riviera, and Château-d’Oex.
To keep up with the action at TASIS this summer, please consider the following options:
- Visit tasis.ch/smugmug to order prints and see lots of amazing photos from summer photographers Kinte Taylor, Lily Engelmaier, and Nico Olvera.
- Follow tasis.ch/instagram to see some of our best photos and short videos.
- Add tasis.ch/snapchat as a friend to see frequent snapshots of life at TASIS.
- Like tasis.ch/facebook to see video clips, links to photo galleries, and more.
- Subscribe to tasis.ch/youtube to see lots of great TASIS videos and receive updates about new videos.
- Follow tasis.ch/twitter to keep up with life at TASIS and beyond.
- Check out tasis.ch/roads to see short interviews with members of the TASIS community.
- Bookmark the Multimedia page on the TASIS Summer Programs website for an aggregation of much of the content mentioned above.